Ms. Ann G. Capitulo, Manila, Philippines, has been named the TAS Early Childhood Center Teacher beginning August 2016. In her professional career, she had the privilege of teaching English in South Korea for more than a year. For eight years, Ms. Capitulo has had the joy of being a head class directress in a Montessori preschool. She has taught English, Reading, Writing, and Math.
Ms. Capitulo holds a degree in Early Childhood Education from the center of teacher education in the Philippines, the Philippine Normal University. She has been teaching preschoolers for the past 9 years and she loves every single moment of it.
Ms. Capitulo is a nature lover. She loves the ocean even if she doesn't swim. For leisure, she delights in modern calligraphy, reading, writing, going on long walks and traveling. She enjoys learning about other country's culture, lifestyle and food.
- BA Early Childhood Education, Philippine Normal University, Philippines
- 9+ years of teaching experience in Philippines, and Vietnam
Ms. Lovely Joy A. Coloma, has been named TAS Early Childhood Center Nursery teacher since August 2014. In her professional career, Ms. Coloma has taught in primary and preschool for six years in Philippines and three years of preschool in Vietnam.
Ms. Coloma loves to travel and explore different countries and their beaches. She has a sweet tooth, loves coffee, and music. During her spare time, she reads, paints and plays musical instruments. She is also fond of going to coffee shops and restaurants.
- BA Elementary Education, University of Southern Mindanao, Philippines
- MA Early Childhood Education, Philippine Normal University, Philippines
- Professional Teacher License issued by the Republic of the Philippines
- 9+ years of teaching experience in Philippines and Vietnam
Ms. Emma Berckmans has been named the TAS Middle and High School Mathematics Teacher starting in August of 2018. Ms. Berckmans coached competitive swimming in Canada for eight years and worked as the Aquatics Coordinator for the Upper Grand District School Board for two years. She spent six months living in Peru working for a Rural Development NGO. She also spent some time doing undergraduate and graduate research in Costa Rica and lived and worked in Honduras.
Ms. Berckmans enjoys doing outdoor activities and always tries to stay busy. She is also a certified Divemaster with PADI and loves to go scuba diving at different places around the world.
- Master Certificate Forestry Economics, Michigan State, USA
- BA Hons Food, Agriculture and Resource Economics, University of Guelph, Canada
- Advanced TESOL Certification
- Coaching Association of Canada, Skills Coach, Canada
- 8+ years of of teaching experience in Canada, USA, and Vietnam
Ms. Emily Easterby -- Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, has been named the TAS Elementary Kindergarten Teacher beginning August 2013. Ms. Easterby is now the Early Childhood Coordinator here at TAS and help created the new TAS Early Childhood Center. This past school year, she started her Master in Elementary Education at The College of New Jersey, USA. She has spent the past 10 summers working with children with special needs at Camp Kodak and taught outdoor education at Camp Brebeuf for eight months.
Ms. Easterby spends her summers outside teaching sailing, waterskiing and stained glass to children of all ages. She loves being outside and discovering new places. She spends her free time exploring the ever expanding and changing Ho Chi Minh City finding new places to eat and have fun.
- H.BA Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
- B.Ed Primary Junior Divisions, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
- MA Elementary Education, The College of New Jersey, NJ, USA (in progress)
- 5+ years teaching experience in Canada and Vietnam
Ms. Mia M. Elizaga has been named TAS Early Childhood Center Teacher beginning August 2016. She obtained her Bachelor’s Degree in Education and her teaching license in her home country, Philippines. During university, she was a volunteer Early Childhood teacher for three consecutive years. In her professional career, Ms. Elizaga has internationally taught Grades 1 to 9 for two years and at the same time a vocal music teacher. She has experience teaching English as a Foreign Language (EFL) to Grades 1 and 2, taught Grade 8 Chemistry, and English Language and Literature subject to Grades 7 to 9. Ms. Elizaga has been a musical director for stage plays, became a socio-cultural coordinator, a vocal solo and duet trainer, an instrumental solo coach, a choir trainer, and a poster making contest adviser. She was also once a Scout Troop Leader and a cooperating teacher to the pre-service teachers through the University of Southern Mindanao (USM), Philippines. She is currently in the process of obtaining her Master’s Degree in Education at University of the Philippines Open University (UPOU).
- BA Secondary Education major in English, University of Southern Mindanao, Philippines
- Philippine Teaching License Certificate
- Music Theory for Musicians 1 and 2 Certifications at International College of Music (ICOM), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Classroom Strategies and Teaching Pedagogies for Young Learners Certification
- Functional Literacy through Mother Tongue-Based Multilingual Education Certification
- PAFTE Regional Students Congress in Kidapawan City, Philippines
- 5+ years of teaching experience in the Philippines and Vietnam
Mr. Ian Osberg -- Philadelphia, PA, USA, has been named the TAS Elementary Grade 1A Teacher beginning August 2016. In his professional career, Mr. Osberg has been living and teaching in Vietnam for five years. He has experience teaching all elementary levels. Mr. Ian studied at San Jose State University where he received his BA in Sociology and Child Development.
Mr. Osberg is married and has become a new father not too long ago. Besides spending time with his family, he also likes to travel, do research, go to the cinema, try new types of cuisine, socialize with friends, and get the best out of life. He is looking forward to teaching your children this year, and hopes they have as much fun in class as he does.
- BA Sociology, Child Development Minor, San Jose State University, CA, USA
- ABCTE Teaching Certificate awarded by the State of New Hampshire (in progress)
- IB PYP Certificate awarded by California State University of San Marcos (in progress)
- CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Certificate awarded by Cambridge
- 5+ years of teaching experience in Vietnam
Mr. Wallace Yip -- New Orleans, Louisiana, has been named a TAS Elementary Grade 1 Teacher beginning in August 2016. In his professional career, Mr. Yip as taught Kindergarten, 1st Grade and 2nd Grade. He has worked in Russia, Taiwan, China and South Korea. He has over 5 years of classroom experience. He has taught English, Writing, Reading, Mathematics, Science and Inquiry. He also coached Basketball and organized a Comic Book club at his school in Russia.
Mr. Yip enjoys playing guitar, drawing, writing, reading, cooking, traveling, scuba diving, white water rafting, basketball, movies, spicy foods and drinking coffee.
- MA Teaching – Early Childhood Education K-5, University of Georgia, Georgia, USA
- BA in Computer Information Systems, Loyola University, New Orleans, USA
- Georgia State T5 Teaching Certification
- TEFL Certification
- IB PYP Certification (Category 1)
- 6+ years of teaching experience in Russia, Taiwan, China, South Korea, Vietnam, and USA
Ms. Colleen Quinn -- Boulder, Colorado, USA, has been named the TAS Elementary School Grade 2 Teacher since August 2015. This is her second year teaching at TAS, and her seventh year in total of teaching. Prior to coming to Vietnam, she spent six years living and teaching in Hsinchu City, Taiwan. Last year, she worked on the Heartbeat Vietnam committee, and is looking forward to another great year with the families of TAS.
In her free time, Ms. Quinn enjoys reading, writing, hiking, and cycling. She also enjoys exploring her new home, Ho Chi Minh City, and spends her free time practicing shotokan karate.
- MA International Elementary Education, The College of New Jersey, NY, USA
- BS News-Editorial, School of Journalism and Mass Comm., University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, USA
- Bridge TEFL, Bridge Linguatec
- 7+ years of teaching experience in Taiwan, USA, and Vietnam
Ms. Danielle Cope -- Windsor, Ontario, Canada, has been named the TAS Elementary Grade 3 Teacher since August 2013. This is her third year of teaching grade 3 at TAS. In her professional career, Ms. Cope has taught kindergarten and early childhood for nine years and elementary for three years in Taiwan, Korea, New Zealand and Vietnam.
She has been living in Vietnam for almost four years now and enjoys spending time with her husband and young son who is now also attending TAS nursery program. Ms. Cope enjoys traveling and exploring her host country where she lives. She loves learning about the culture and tasting the food wherever she is living.
- B.Ed, Primary K-6, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- Early Childhood Education Certificate, St. Clair College, Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- BA Psychology, University of Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language Certificate (TEFL), Canada
- 10+ years teaching experience in Canada, Taiwan, Korea, New Zealand and Vietnam
Ms. Deondra Richey -- Atlanta, Georgia, USA, was named the TAS Elementary Grade 4 Teacher beginning August 2016. In her professional career, Ms. Richey has taught elementary for a combined sixteen years. She has been a member of the CIS accreditation committee, served as grade level chair, English Department Head, Elementary Department Head, and Literacy Coordinator and Coach.
Ms. Richey enjoys swimming, snorkeling, sailing, hiking, camping, reading, and playing golf. She also likes to spend her free time volunteering for local food banks and animal rescue organizations and traveling. She is looking forward to learning more about Vietnamese cuisine and exploring the country.
- BS Early Childhood Education, North Georgia College and State University, Dahlonega, GA, USA
- Georgia State Teacher Certification in Early Childhood Education PreK-5 with Reading and Math Endorsements
- Teachers as Leaders Certificate, USA
- Promethean Board Certification, USA
- Love and Logic Certification, USA
- Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Certified, USA
- 16+ years of teaching experience in Baku, Azerbijan; Majuro, Marshall Islands, and USA
Ms. Corie L. Sovereign -- St. Paul, Minnesota, USA, has been named TAS Elementary School 4th Grade Teacher beginning August 2016. In her professional career, Ms. Sovereign has taught kindergarten and Grades 2, 4, 5, and 6 in Taiwan, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Ms. Sovereign has taught the core elementary subjects of language arts, science, math, and social studies, as well as PE and art. She directed and taught the Spanish Club at her previous school. She planned and directed school fundraisers for an orphanage in Cambodia and an environmental group here in Vietnam. She developed an in-service program on technology in the classroom, and assisted in kindergarten orientation for new teachers.
Ms. Sovereign studied abroad in Monterrey, Mexico, and she loves learning and working with language.
Ms. Sovereign enjoys listening to and singing along with all kinds of music, dancing, cooking, fitness, arts and crafts, and exploring the world around her. She loves to read, and her favorite genres are science fiction and historical fiction
- BA Spanish Language and Literature, Hamline University, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
- CELTA Certification, Cambridge International, USA
- Teacher’s Certification through Teach Now Educatore
- Washington, D.C. Elementary Teaching Certification, USA
Ms. Brigid Fagan has been named the TAS Elementary School Grade 5 Teacher since August 2015. Prior to that she taught Grade 4 at TAS. In her professional teaching career, Ms. Fagan taught Pre-Kindergarten for two years at Agassiz Elementary School in Chicago, USA. She taught elementary ESL students in Seoul, South Korea for three years. Ms. Fagan has also coached elementary basketball, judged the Chicago elementary Science Fair, and worked at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies summer camp in Yeonju, Korea. Before becoming a teacher, Ms. Fagan worked in NIH grant administration at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
Ms. Fagan loves to spend her free time reading, travelling, trying new foods and cheering on the Chicago Cubs. She is looking forward to another great year at TAS.
- BA English Literature, DePaul University, Chicago, IL, USA
- M.Ed Elementary Education, DePaul University, Chicago, IL, USA
- Illinois State Teaching License, USA
- 7+ years teaching in the United States, South Korea, and Vietnam
Mr. Joshua Leiner -- Cedar Key, Florida, USA, has been named TAS Elementary School Grade 5 teacher beginning August 2016. In his professional career, Mr. Leiner has taught elementary for three years and middle school for two in Seoul, South Korea. He has been a member of the school improvement committee, coordinated winter and summer youth programs and initiated an international cultural exchange program. Previously he spent five years in Tampa Bay as a social worker with juvenile offenders adjudicated through the Department of Juvenile Justice.
Mr. Leiner is an avid waterman who enjoys everything on and under the water. He also likes to spend his free time volunteering, traveling and trying new foods. He is looking forward to learning more about Vietnamese cuisine and exploring the country.
- BS International Affairs, Communications Minor, Florida State University, FL, USA
- Florida State Teacher Certification in Elementary Education K-6 and Social Sciences 6-12
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language Certificate (TEFL), USA
- 5+ years of teaching experience in South Korea, USA, and Vietnam
Ms. Anna Belova has been named the TAS Elementary School ICT and ESL Teacher since August April 2014. She has eight years of teaching experience at schools around the world. Ms. Belova started out her teaching career as an English instructor at Kazan State Technical University in Russia from 2008-2010. She taught English at Yeungjin College and Yeungjin English Village in Daegu, South Korea from 2010-2012. Upon returning to Kazan City, Russia, Ms. Belova taught Physics at IT Lyceum Secondary school from 2012-2013.
Ms. Belova’s interests outside of education are live music, data processing, and Internet security.
- Specialist in Linguistics and Teaching English, Linguistic University of Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
- Specialist in Astronomy, Kazan State University, Russia
- BS Physics, Kazan State University, Russia
- AA Business Administration, Yeungjin College, South Korea
- 8+ years of teaching experience in Russia, South Korea, and Vietnam
Ms. Andrea Bennett -- Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, has been named the TAS Elementary ESL Teacher beginning August 2016. This is Ms. Bennett's third year at TAS. She previously taught elementary for three years in Seoul, South Korea. Additionally she has spent time teaching summer programs for Chinese international exchange students in the USA.
Ms. Bennett is an animal lover and has spent a lot of her time working with Animal Rescue Korea - she helps with fostering and finding couriers for animals to go to the USA. She currently lives in district 2 with her Korean rescue dog, Bae. Ms. Bennett also likes to spend her free time traveling, reading, and trying new foods.
- M.Ed English as a Second Language, The College of New Jersey, NJ, USA (in progress)
- BA Gender Studies, The University of Cincinnati, OH, USA
- Florida State Teacher Certification in Elementary Education K-6
- Florida State Teacher Certification in ESOL K-12
- International Baccalaureate Certificate, CSU San Marcos, CA, USA (in progress)
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language Certificate (TEFL), USA
- 6+ years of teaching experience in South Korea, Vietnam, and the USA
Mr. Benjamin Litwicki, Sedona, Arizona, USA, has been named the TAS Elementary Music Teacher, beginning August 2016. In his professional career, Mr. Litwicki has been a digital arts teacher in Sedona, Arizona, a Math and English tutor in greater LA and a library tech in Santa Barbara. As a computer teacher, he developed and implemented curriculum for coding in Java Script at the elementary level, CAD 3D design, modeling and printing, photo editing/graphic design, audio effects processing, video effects processing and editing through online and offline digital tools such as Afinia 3D, Sketchup pro, 3DSlash, Khan Accademy, Scratch, W3schools and Photoshop. Mr. Litwicki provided training in Microsoft Excel for secretarial staff, was part of a leadership team to administer benchmark testing through Study Island, and completed an Edumentum Mentorship program. He also implemented response to intervention for English language learners using Lexia educational software and completed workshops for cluster grouping to increase academic rigor with gifted students. As a musician he worked as a freelance instrumentalist performer in Los Angeles and recorded at MI in Hollywood and in Studio City. Mr Litwicki has performed with the Monday Madness Big Band in Santa Barbara and Torros Embolados in LA. He taught afterschool piano classes throughout Santa Barbara at the elementary level. As a multi-instrumentalist, his primary instrument is the saxophone and his secondary instruments include but are not limited to the piano, guitar, bass, flute, clarinet and singing.
At California State University Northridge Mr. Litwicki held the seats of Tenor Soloist and Baritone in the Wind Symphony and chamber saxophone quartet. He sang bass in the University Choral and played second alto and tenor saxophones in jazz large ensembles.
- BA Music Education, CSU Northridge, California, USA
- AA Humanities, Santa Barbara City College, California, USA
- TEFL Certification, TELF Academy, Chicago, USA
- Edmentum Certificate
- 3+ years of teaching experience in USA and Vietnam
Mr. Eric Blaisdell -- Los Angeles, California, USA, has been named TAS Elementary School Art Teacher since August 2013, this is his third year of teaching at TAS. He received his undergrad in English Literature and Art. Mr. Blaisdell began substitute teaching in San Francisco in 1997. Mr. Blaisdell took his first international job teaching in Japan in 2005. He returned to Seattle and worked briefly for the military at Fort Lewis. Mr. Blaisdell studied at Lewis and Clark College in Portland, Oregon to complete his teaching credential as an Arts Teacher in 2009. Upon completion of his schooling, Mr. Blaisdell moved to South Korea with his girlfriend Corinne and was married in 2013.
Mr. Blaisdell enjoys music and has played in several amateur bands in Korea, Japan, and Vietnam. When not teaching, he enjoys travelling throughout Southeast Asia and sampling the local cuisine.
- MA Teaching Art Education, Lewis and Clark College Portland, OR, USA
- MA Multi-Media Studies, San Francisco State University, CA, USA
- BA English Literature with Minor in Studio Art, Whittier College, CA, USA
- Oregon State Residency Teaching Certificate, USA
- 12+ years of teaching experience in USA, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam
Mrs. Dianne E. Buisan has been named TAS Elementary Physical Education & Health teacher since August 2015. She has been teaching for 10 years here in Vietnam and in the Philippines. She went to the University of Southern Mindanao, Kabacan, Cotabato, Philippines for her undergraduate studies and Sultan Kudarat Polytechnic State University, Tacurong City, Philippines for her graduate studies.
When Mrs. Buisan is not teaching, she enjoys dancing and playing with her hyperactive kids, biking, doing outdoor activities that strengthens both body and mind. Her family loves to explore and travel together, since this brings them together with uninterrupted quality time.
- MA Teaching Physical Education, Sultan Kudarat State University, Tacurong City, Philippines
- BA Secondary Education major in Physical Education, Health and Music, University of Southern Mindanao, Kabacan, Cotabato, Philippines
- Teaching License Certificate - Professional Regulation Commission, Philippines
- License #: 0825251
- 10+ years of teaching experience in the Philippines and Vietnam
Ms. Diem Vo has been named TAS Elementary School Vietnamese as a Second Language (VSL) Teacher since August 2010. This is her sixth year teaching at TAS and has been a teacher for 19 years. Ms. Vo earned her Bachelor of Arts in English at the University of Social Science and Humanities, Vietnam. She also completed a teacher training program at the university. She has a TESOL degree from Australian International TESOL. For leisure, Ms. Vo likes to read books and cook for her family over the weekend.
- BA English, University of Social Science and Humanities, HCMC, Vietnam
- TESOL Certification, Australian International TESOL
- 19+ years of teaching experience in Vietnam
Ms. Tam Ngo has been named the TAS Elementary Vietnamese Studies Teacher since March 2013. In her professional career, Ms. Tam Ngo has taught Vietnamese Studies and was support for elementary ESL teachers for ten years in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam.
Ms. Tam is an active teacher who enjoys everything esepecially singing and dancing with her students. She also likes to spend her free time teaching for the disadvantaged children, translating, traveling and learning new cultures.
- BA Elementary Education, Saigon University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL) certificate
- 10+ years teaching experience in Vietnam
Ms. Hong Nguyen has been named TAS Elementary School Vietnamese Studies Teacher since August 2012. Before, she has taught Vietnamese Studies for one year at AIS and two years at CIS. Ms. Nguyen hopes to achieve an interesting and enthusiastic classroom atmosphere for her students. She wants to bring all the best to her classes.
Ms. Nguyen is interested in music, reading, sewing and photography. She enjoys spending her free time with her daughter and learning new languages.
- BA Literature and Linguistics, University of Social Science and Humanities, HCMC, Vietnam.
- Certificate of Education from University of Social Science and Humanities, HCMC, Vietnam.
- 7+ years of teaching experience in Vietnam
Ms. Amreen Bashir is a TAS Middle-High School Social Studies Teacher (Ancient and Modern World History) since January 2015. Ms. Bashir has taught in four different countries, including Canada, France, Bangladesh and Vietnam for more than five years. She has previously taught French, Literature, AP Human Geography, World Geography, Religion, Ancient World History, Canadian History, Economics, Government and Modern World History. In addition to teaching, she is also the TAS Head of Humanities Department since August 2015.
Ms Bashir is a voracious reader of fiction and non-fiction. She also likes to spend her spare time going to the driving range, practicing yoga, and travelling the world.
- M.Ed International Education Secondary, The College of New Jersey, USA
- B.Ed Secondary History and Geography, McGill University, Canada.
- Teaching Certification by the Education Ministry of Quebec, Canada
- Teaching License from the state of New Jersey, USA
- AP Human Geography Certification, Kennesaw State University, Atlanta, USA
- 5+ years of teaching experience in Canada, France, Bangladesh, and Vietnam
Ms. Anna Fischer -- New Hampshire, USA has been teaching TAS Middle-High School Social Studies since August 2015. She is returning for her second year at TAS and will be expanding the social studies department to include Psychology. She has been teaching in Vietnam for three years and has participated in activities such as tennis club, ping pong club and International Day. This year she is also looking forward to a position on the Sunshine Committee to facilitate teambuilding amongst the faculty and staff. Before teaching at TAS, Ms. Fischer taught at Vietnam Australia International School in Ho Chi Minh City.
Ms. Fischer is very active and loves to play tennis, rock climb and participate in archery club here in HCMC. She loves to travel, mountain climb and ride motorcycles. She is also an avid reader and enjoys taking drawing lessons in the city. She is looking forward to continuing her adventures in Southeast Asia.
- Florida State Teaching Certification- Social Sciences 6-12
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language Certificate (TEFL), USA
- MA History, Old Dominion University, Virginia, USA
- BA European History, University at Albany, New York, USA
- 3+ years teaching experience in Vietnam
Mr. Matt Bailey - London, England, has been named TAS Middle and High School Social Studies Teacher, beginning August, 2016. In his professional career, Mr. Bailey has been a High School History, Journalism, and English teacher and a college English instructor on Majuro Atoll in the Republic of the Marshall Islands. Prior to teaching, Mr. Bailey worked as the Director of Communications and Legislative Affairs for the City of Chicago in Chicago, Illinois, USA.
Mr. Bailey has served on WASC accreditation committees, acted as advisor of the school newspaper and manager of a student band. In his spare time, his hobbies include reading, music, traveling, writing and spending time with his family.
- Illinois State Teacher Certification, USA
- MA Journalism, DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- BA American History and Politics, University of East Anglia, Norwich, England
- Republic of the Marshall Islands Teaching Certification
- 4+ years of teaching experience in Marshall Islands, USA, and Vietnam
Mr. Tom Alexander has been named TAS Middle-High School AP English Teacher reporting to the Head of School, beginning August 2016. In his professional career, Mr. Alexander has been an English Department Head at Al Bayan Bilingual School in Kuwait; an English and P.E. teacher at Hammarskjold High School in Thunder Bay; at Eastview Secondary School in Barrie, Ontario; taught Physical Education at St. Johns College, in Nassau, Bahamas; Istanbul International Community School in Istanbul, Turkey and Mitundu Secondary School in Lilongwe, Malawi. He has held school positions as teacher, chaired school mission statement development teams, and directed intramural programs, organized and judged speech and debate teams, updated and created new curriculum programs,
He has been a head coach for varsity volley ball, rugby, swimming, and cycling teams. While he enjoys all sports and coaching, Mr. Alexander represented his country swimming in the 1975 Pan American Games (Mexico City) and The 1976 Olympics (Montreal). He also represented Malawi and the Bahamas playing rugby internationally.
In his spare time Mr. Alexander enjoys hiking and fishing.
- ME Curriculum Development, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
- Honors BA and BE English Major, P.E. Minor certified K-12, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
- Red Cross First Aid and CPR Workshop Certification
- AP Literature and Language certification, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Tribes Training 2016
- 34+ years of teaching experience in Canada, Turkey, Kuwait, and Vietnam
Ms.Aubrey Fowler has been named TAS Middle-High School English Teacher beginning August 2016. She has been a member of the TAS family from its inception in 2010. During her time at TAS, she served as both an administrator and teacher; currently she is teaching middle school English.
Prior to her arrival in Vietnam, Ms. Fowler taught both elementary and middle school students at an international school in Ecuador and also in the Massachusetts public schools in the USA, where she worked specifically with special education students. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Social Work from Gordon College in 2005 and is expected to complete her Masters of Education in Curriculum and Instruction from Montana State University in 2016. Ms. Fowler has been an active member of an animal rescue charity in Saigon for the past five years and in her free time she enjoys practicing yoga, cooking new foods and exploring Vietnam and the surrounding countries with her family.
- BA of Arts in Social Work, minor Psychology, Gordon College, MA, USA
- MA of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Montana State University, MT, USA
- 10+ years of teaching experience in Ecuador, USA and Vietnam
Ms. Ilka Omdahl -- Denver, Colorado, USA, has been named TAS Middle-High English Language Arts Teacher beginning August 2016. In her professional career, Ms. Ilka has been a teacher of English and Social Studies. Ms. Omdahl has taught in Colorado, Jakarta, and Seoul. In addition to teaching, Ms. Omdahl has held other positions: Social Studies Department Head, NJHS sponsor, Student Council sponsor, Talent Show coordinator, Newspaper sponsor, co-lead for Outdoor Education, and co-director of the school play. This is her sixteenth year as an educator.
Ms. Omdahl has studied abroad in New Zealand and India. In her spare time, she loves to practice yoga, run, write, and read. She is also an avid cinephile and traveler.
- MFA in Film (Screenwriting Emphasis), Boston University, MA, USA
- Teaching Certification 612, Colorado, USA
- English/Language Arts, University of Colorado, USA
- BA in English Literature, University of Colorado, USA
- 16+ years of teaching experience in Indonesia, South Korea, Vietnam, and USA
Mr. Brian Boyce -- Vancouver, Canada, has been named TAS Middle-High School English and Social Studies Teacher, beginning in August 2016. Along with teaching, he has worked on community construction and restoration projects and has coached debate, basketball and baseball. In the last ten years, Mr. Boyce has taught and tutored students in Canada, Korea, Thailand and now Vietnam. Mr. Boyce is interested in exploring the endless possibilities of Google Classroom.
- BA English, University of British Columbia, Canada
- B.Ed, University of British Columbia, Canada
- British Columbia Teaching Certification, Canada
- Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA), University of Cambridge
- MBA in Innovation Leadership (In progress)
- 10+ years of teaching experience in Canada, Korea, Thailand, the Middle East, and Vietnam
Ms. Dung Nguyen has been named TAS Middle-High Vietnamese Studies Teacher since August 2009. Ms. Nguyen is an enthusiastic teacher starting her seventh year at The American School. She has taught most of the grades between sixth and twelfth grades, and has been teaching for nearly ten years.
She had three years of experience as a lecture in a university and as a teacher of Vietnamese Literature at other international schools in HCMC before becoming a member of TAS community. She has had the opportunities to work with foreigners, learn different cultures and languages from them, teach children and young adults from the ages of 6 to 22. She has been challenged to be creative, nurturing and most of all, patient.
Her hobbies are traveling, painting, writing and reading. She spends most of her free time for these things. They make her life more enjoyable.
- MA Linguistics, University of Pedagogy Ho Chi Minh City, HCMC, Vietnam
- BA Vietnamese Language and Literature, Qui Nhon University, Qui Nhon, Vietnam
- 10+ years of teaching experience in Vietnam
Ms. Thao T. Huong Nguyen –Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, has been named TAS Middle-High School Vietnamese Teacher since August 2013. With more than eight years of teaching experience at Nguyen Chi Thanh government school, it provided her with a firm foundation for teaching Vietnamese.
Ms. Nguyen has a passion for the Vietnamese language. Her education and teaching experience shows how much she wants to equip her students with good language skills. She is also a book worm who loves reading especially about Vietnamese history and foreign literature. Ms. Nguyen loves to share Vietnamese culture to her students and introduce to them the beauty of Vietnamese language.
- MA Linguistics, University of Pedagogy, HCMC, Vietnam
- BA Faculty of Linguistics, University of Social Sciences and Humanities, HCMC, Vietnam
- Pedagogical Certification, University of Pedagogy, HCMC, Vietnam
- 12+ years of teaching experience in Vietnam
Mr. Eric Rossi has been a Physics, AP Physics, and AP Environmental Science Teachers at TAS Middle-High School since August 2013. During his time at TAS, he has also taught Grade 8 Physical Science and Grade 12 Earth Science. He is also the Head of the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Department, and has served on the graduation committee, played a key role in organizing the school science fair, and has performed in the school musical. Originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, Mr. Rossi started his teaching career in Colorado Springs, Colorado before teaching for three years in Daegu, South Korea. He also has experience in Special Education and has worked with adults with developmental disabilities.
Mr. Rossi is an experienced musician and has performed in a number of venues in Ho Chi Minh City. He spends his time traveling with his wife.
- MA Curriculum and Instruction, University of Colorado, Colorado, USA
- BS Physics, Math Minor, Pennsylvania State University, PA, USA; MA Curriculum and Instruction, University of Colorado in Colorado Springs, USA.
- Professional Teacher License, Colorado.
- 9+ years of teaching experience in Colorado, Korea, and Vietnam
Ms. Cameron Edwards -- Lake Mary, Florida, USA, has been named the TAS Middle School Grade 6 Earth Science and Grade 9 Biology Teacher beginning August 2016. In her professional career, Ms. Edwards has taught in the USA at elementary for two years and middle school for seven years. She next took a teaching job in China in 2014 as a Kindergarten teacher and taught there for two years.
In the USA, Ms. Cameron participated in triathlons. She has completed an Ironman, three half Ironman’s and two USA Age Group National Triathlon Championships She also likes to spend her free time participating in team sports and learned how to play badminton in China. Ms. Edwards is looking forward to learning more about Vietnam and their culture.
- BS Telecommunications, University of Florida, FL, USA
- Florida State Teacher Certification in Middle Grades 5-9 Science
- 9+ years of teaching experience in USA, China and Vietnam.
Ms. Phuong Vong has been named a Science Teacher in the STEM department at TAS Middle-High School since August 2013. She has experiences teaching secondary Mathematics and Science courses. She was a member of the Middle School Graduation Committee and the Science Fair Committee. She has been organizing different field trips to raise student awareness about protecting wild animals and the environment.
Ms. Vong loves to take her daughter to the zoo to see the animals and to the beach to play. She also enjoys scrapbooking to keep special memories. She likes to go bowling and is pretty good at it.
- BS Natural Science with Biology Emphasis and Minor in Mathematics, California State University Los Angeles, CA, USA
- California State Teaching Credentials in Science and Mathematics 6-12
- 8+ years of teaching experience in USA and Vietnam
Ms. Rebecca Tumicki -- Silverdale, Washington, USA, was named TAS Middle-High School Mathematics Teacher in January 2016. This year she is teaching grade 6 math and Algebra 1. Prior to coming to TAS, Ms. Tumicki was an Integrated Basic Education and Skills and Training instructor at Olympic College in Washington state, USA. In her professional career, Ms. Tumicki has taught secondary for six years in Taif and Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and two years in Sur, Oman. As a Peace Corps Volunteer in Nepal, she taught high school mathematics and was a teacher trainer for two years. Previously she has worked for over ten years as a software developer in Austin, Texas, Sunnyvale, California and Denver, Colorado.
Ms. Tumicki has been a long time hiking enthusiast having hiked in such places as Nepal, Spain and Ethiopia. She has visited 50 countries and plans on seeing a few more in SE Asia. In her free time she does tai chi, art and photography.
- MA Geography with concentration in GIS, San Jose State University, CA, USA
- BS Mathematics, University of Connecticut, CT, USA
- Secondary Mathematics certified by the American Board for Certification of Teaching Excellence, GA, USA
- 11+ years of teaching experience in Vietnam, Cambodia, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Nepal and USA
Mr. Michael Rybachuk has been named TAS Middle-High School Mathematics Teacher beginning August 2016. In his professional career, Mr. Rybachuk has been a teacher at Pleasant Valley Secondary School in Armstrong BC; at the Universal American School in Kuwait; at A.L. Fortune Secondary in Enderby, Canada; and at the American School of Kuwait. He has been Mathematics Department Chair, led an Accreditation section on Professionalism and Certification, organized back-packing trips into the Canadian Rockies, and refereed countless basketball games. He has coached JV Volleyball, grass-roots soccer, been a sponsor-teacher for practicum teachers, and was an avid fast-ball player.
Mr. Rybachuk enjoys reading historical fiction, loves all types of sports and exploring new parts of the world. His greatest joy is building and restoring furniture in his wood-shop back home.
- MA Educational Technology, University of British Columbia, Canada
- BA Education (after), University of Calgary, Canada
- BS Applied Mathematics, University of Calgary, Canada
- Level 3 FIBA Basketball Official Certification
- 32+ years of teaching experience in Canada, Kuwait, and Vietnam
Mr. Evan Tran has been named TAS Middle-High School Mathematics Teacher since August 2012. He is currently teaching higher level mathematics courses such as AP Calculus, Pre-calculus, and Algebra 2. He completed a 30-hour College Board AP Seminars in Calculus AB. He loves teaching mathematics and has a natural ability to motivate his students to maximize their academic performance. In addition, he has been part of many different committees at TAS including International Day, Christmas Day, and Science Fair Day.
Mr. Tran enjoys playing tennis on a regular basis. He also likes to spend his free time listening to music, swimming, and playing Chinese chess.
- The State of New Jersey Teaching Certificate, USA – Endorsement Mathematics (Grade 7-12), Certification Number 890151
- Mathematics (Grade 7-12) Education Certificate, The College of New Jersey, NY, USA
- MS Computer Science, Nova Southeastern University, USA
- BS Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of California, Davis, USA
- 7+ years of teaching experience in Vietnam and USA
Elizabeth (Betty) Urban --Pasadena, California, has been named TAS Middle-High School Fine Art Department Head for the school year 2016-2017 and will also be teaching art to 8-12 and AP. Betty has been teaching art for 16 years Pk-12 and AP in the United States and most recently in Indonesia.
Ms. Urban started her career in Buffalo, New York at the Park School teaching art to K-8. She then moved to Los Angeles and started a career in advertising. Betty founded her own full-service ad agency and ran it successfully for twenty years before she returned to teaching.
Ms. Urban returned to teaching in 2004 at Flintridge Preparatory School (the tenth most arduous high school in America, Washington Post 2013) in La Canada, California. She taught 7-12 plus AP for 10 years and then decided to make a change and teach internationally. Ms. Urban has taught the IB and Cambridge curriculums at The Sinarmas and Jakarta Academies in Indonesia for the last two years. She successfully completed the IB PYP Making It Happen as well as becoming an IB Examiner.
Ms. Urban graduated from Pacific Oaks College, California where she earned her BA in Human Development with a Focus on Art Education. Ms. Urban also recently accepted and awarded a scholarship to attend Harvard Graduate School of Education’s PD class on “The Arts and Passion-Driven Learning” this summer.
Ms. Urban is a practicing artist who recently had a sold-out one woman painting show in Los Angeles. She enjoys creating art as well as supporting art through art associations such as The Pasadena Art Alliance and The Art Center Partners.
- BA Human Development with focus on Art Education, Pacific Oaks College, California, USA
- 16+ years of teaching experience in Indonesia, Vietnam, and USA
Mr. Nicholas G. Mason -- South Bend, Indiana, USA, has been teaching at TAS since August 2012 as the Middle-High School Music Teacher. In his professional career, Mr. Mason has taught music, both in the US and in Vietnam, for over eight years. He has been part of many different committees at TAS including International Day, awards, and various creative arts programs.
Mr. Mason is a passionate musician who enjoys all things music, specializing in pop/rock music of the past sixty years. He plays many different instruments ranging from brass family instruments in his younger years to many rock-oriented instruments. He also plays videos games, enjoys reading, watching movies, and traveling to ancient ruins across the world.
- BS Instrumental/General Music Education, Ball State University, IN, USA
- Indiana State Teacher Certification in K-12 Music Education, USA
- 8+ years of teaching experience in Vietnam and USA
Mr. Keigan Page -- Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, is excited to return for his 3rd year at TAS as the Middle-High School Drama Teacher. In his professional career, Mr. Page has taught MS & HS Drama and English Literature for five years in Canada, Qatar and Vietnam. In addition to his teaching he has been acting, directing, and creating theatre across the globe for over a decade. Before entering the teaching profession, Mr. Page worked and continues to work in the summer, in outdoor education across Canada using nature and the outdoors to teach science, leadership and help develop social skills within youth with special needs.
Mr. Page is active in the theatre community within Ho Chi Minh City, sitting on the steering committee for the Saigon Players. You may have seen him in past Saigon Players’ productions such as Rocky Horror, Snow White and the Seven Nguyens, Lysistrata or his directorial debut with the company in spring of 2016, The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged). Be sure to keep your eye out for upcoming performances this season! When not creating theatre he spends his free time travelling & exploring the outside world and the beauty that our planet has to offer.
- BA (Honours) Theatre, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- BEd Intermediate & Senior Drama and English, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- Ontario Teaching License
- 5+ years teaching experience in Canada, Qatar, and Vietnam
Mr. Michael Crowley -- Newburyport, MA, USA, has been teaching at TAS Middle-High School as the Physical Education (PE) Teacher and Athletic Director. He has been at the school for the last 5 years starting in August 2012. Mr. Crowley has been teaching internationally for 29 years in Greece, Tanzania, Thailand and now here in Vietnam. He also coaches basketball, soccer, softball and wrestling at his previous international schools.
Mr. Crowley likes to travel and see new places. He also loves just about all sports especially ice hockey, American football, basketball and baseball.
- BS Physical Education, Westfield State University, USA
- Teaching Certificate PE/Health K-12, Salem State University, USA
- K-12 Massachusetts Teaching Certification
- 29+ years of coaching and teaching experience in USA, Greece, Africa, Thailand and Vietnam
Mr. Rasul Buisan II has been named TAS Middle-High School Physical Education (PE) and Dance Teacher since August 2009. He has been a part of the TAS family since its opening for more than seven years. Mr. Buisan has extensive knowledge in Physical Education (Sports, Dance, Health Education, Recreational and Sports Management) with a graduate of Master of Arts in Teaching Physical Education. He has more than 17 years of teaching experience.
He possesses positive working attitude, strong team-working and multi-tasking skills, successfully completes works within budget and time constraints; possesses highest degree of integrity adaptable to changing situations and flexible about working overtime geared towards achieving competence in the field of education.
Mr. Buisan is also very active in supervising after school activities. He served as coach and trainer of boys under 19 soccer team and dance production respectively. He creates and sustains a level of discipline for each individual with an emphasis on teaching respect, loyalty and sportsmanship.
- MA Teaching Physical Education, Sultan Kudarat Polytechnic State University, Tacurong City, Phillipines
- Diploma in Physical Education, University of Southern Mindanao, Kabacan, North Cobatabo, Philippines
- BS Agriculture, University of Southern Mindanao, Kabacan, North Cobatabo, Philippines
- Philippine Teaching License Certificate – Professional Regulation Commission
- Asian Football Confederation – “C” License Coaching Certificate
- UbD 101: Introduction to UbD – Online Professional Development Course
- 17+ years of teaching experience in the Philippines and Vietnam
Mr. James Foster is an ESL and world languages teacher and department head at TAS Middle-High School. Beginning in August of 2012, Mr. Foster helped to develop the ESL program from the ground up and in August 2013 inaugurated the Spanish program at TAS.
Mr. Foster began his teaching career in Austin, Texas in The United States in 2003 after graduating from The University of Texas at Austin with a BA in Spanish in 2002 followed by a brief teaching stint in Venezuela. He taught middle school Spanish and then ESL for three years before moving to China where he taught a mix of both subjects for five years. After spending a year in Egypt teaching Grade 8, Mr. Foster moved to Vietnam where he began his tenure at TAS.
Mr. Foster enjoys expanding his knowledge of the world through reading, documentaries, and travel. On Saturdays, he volunteers to teach English with the KickStart program, which he has done for three years.
- BA Spanish, University of Texas at Austin, USA
- Texas State Board of Education Certified
- 14+ years of teaching experience in USA, Venezuela, China, Egypt and Vietnam
Mrs. Jennifer Gelinas -- Annapolis, Maryland, USA, was named the TAS ESL Coordinator and MSHS IESL Teacher in August 2015. In her professional career, Mrs. Gelinas has taught one year of ESL at TAS, five years of ESL in Maryland, and one year of reading in Florida. She has been a member of Girls on the Run, Green School committees, and a mentor for at-risk youth.
Mrs. Gelinas loves traveling, being paddle boarding, yoga, and diving. She also enjoys reading and painting. She is looking forward to exploring more of Vietnam.
- MA The Differentiated Classroom, Gratz College, Pennsylvania, USA
- BA Elementary Education and ESL, Flagler College, Florida, USA
- Maryland State Teacher Certification in ESL K-12 and Elementary 1-6, USA
- BS Religion with minor in Biblical Studies, Liberty University, Virginia, USA
- 7+ year of teaching experience in Vietnam and USA
Lauren Beckerle -- USA, has been named TAS Middle-High School ESL teacher reporting to the Head of School, beginning August 2016. In her professional career, Ms. Beckerle has been a teacher of ESL since 2010, beginning in Seoul, South Korea and moving to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam in 2012. She became Head Teacher at VUS in Ho Chi Minh City in 2013. From 2013 to 2016, she wrote and presented bimonthly teacher development workshops to 40+ ESL teachers based on “universal activities and classroom management,” a series of adaptable techniques catering to multiple texts, student ability levels, classroom spaces, and available teaching resources. She also mentored new teachers one-on-one, assisting them with lesson planning, as well as offering information about expat life in Ho Chi Minh City.
In her spare time, her hobbies include: freelance writing, theatre, singing, yoga, reiki, meditation, and travel.
- BA Media Communications, Webster University, St. Louis, Missouri, USA
- Cambridge ESOL Level 5 Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, ECC, Phuket, Thailand
- 6+ years of teaching experience in South Korea, USA, and Vietnam
Ms. Marielle Walker -- Lansing, Michigan, USA, has been named TAS Middle-High School Spanish Teacher since August 2015. Ms. Walker has worked with grades 4-12 in Michigan and in North Carolina, USA. She has assisted in Positive Behavior and School Improvement committees, and will be co-leading Spanish club this year with Mr. Carlos Diaz.
Ms. Walker loves to read, learn new things, and enjoy delicious food from all over the world. Corgis are her favorite dogs and she plans to visit an elephant sanctuary this year.
- BA Music with concentrations in Spanish and Music Education, Western Michigan University, USA
- Michigan Teaching Certificate in Spanish and Music K-12
- North Carolina Teaching Certificate in Spanish and Music K-12
- 6+ years of teaching experience in USA and Vietnam
Mrs Nguyet Duong, has been named the TAS Elementary Mandarin Teacher beginning August 2016. She was an officer of International Cooperation Office in Ho Chi Minh City University of Education since 2002. In her professional career, she has taught Chinese Language for children and undergraduate studentsMrs. Duong was ranked number 4 out of all graduates and have been voted the most brilliant student in June 2001 at the Beijing Language and Cultural University, China.
She was born in a family that both parents are teachers and believes that the education industry is very fulfilling. In the past three years, she has gained a variety of teaching techniques and am confident with her classroom management for a diversity of students.
Mrs. Duong belives that being a qualified teacher needs the following factors: a passion for teaching, concern for students, patience as well as tolerance and expanded knowledge of the subject.
- BA Chinese Language, Beijing Language and Cultural University, Beijing, China
- Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language Certificate 2013, 2014, Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages, Taiwan
- 8+ years of teaching experience in China and Vietnam
Mr. Phu Vo -- Long An, Vietnam, has been named the TAS Physical Education Teacher beginning August of 2018. Regarding his professional and pedagogical experience, he has two years of teaching diverse groups of students from elementary, middle school to high school in Ho Chi Minh City. He also coaches a variety of sports for teenagers and young-adults at international schools for more than three years.
He is an outgoing person and likes to socialize and hang out with friends. He enjoys being physically active, and spends a lot of his time playing sports and team games. His other free time is used for traveling or volunteering.
- BPhEd, P.E. & Sports Pedagogy, HCMC University of Physical Education and Sports, Vietnam
- BA, English, HCMC University of Foreign Languages – Information Technology, Vietnam (in progress)
- 5+ years of teaching and coaching experience in Vietnam
Mr. Carlos Diaz – Maracaibo, Venezuela, has been named TAS Librarian reporting to the Head of School, beginning August, 2016. In his professional career, Mr. Diaz has been a Head Librarian in the Escuela Bella Vista International IB School, a Supervisor Librarian in Zulia Public Library in Maracaibo, a Spanish Teacher in Zulia University and Marco Fabio Quintiliano School in Maracaibo and co-founder and teacher in the Japanese Academy of Maracaibo GOEN. He has held school position as teacher, Extended Essay Coordinator, participated in School Improvement Teams, was part of the IT department, introduced gaming education to the school, developed collaborative reading and writing programs and introduced NaNoWriMo program to the school.
He has been a referee of sanshou matches, and trained Choy Lee Fut kung-fu for four years. He enjoys martial arts, and gamification in education. He also enjoy cross cultural programs and international programs as he was part of the 24th Ship For The World Youth Program in Japan (2012).
In his spare time, Mr. Diaz enjoys walking, cooking, game design, reading and table top games.
- BA Spanish Literature and Language, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
- Storytelling, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
- VANAS presenter, CIC Valencia, AASSA, Valencia, Venezuela
- SWY24 delegate, Tokyo, Japan
- Japanese Language N3 level, Japan Foundation
- Sanshou referee, Zulia Wushu Asociation, Maracaibo, Venezuela
- 4+ years of teaching experience in Venezuela and Vietnam
Ms. Emma Rackmil, Jersey City, New Jersey, USA, has been named Grade 5 teacher in the Elementary School beginning August 1, 2017. In her professional career, Ms. Rackmil has taught 3rd grade in New Jersey, USA and 5th grade in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Her experiences also include teaching students with special needs, and teaching English as a second language to students in Princeton, New Jersey. Ms. Rackmil holds the following degrees:
- Master’s of the Arts in Teaching from Rider University, New Jersey
- Elementary K-6 Certification, New Jersey
- TESOL/TESL/TEFL Certification, Oxford Seminars
- BA in English Honors from Rutgers University, New Jersey
Ms. Rackmil is excited to return to Vietnam after completing her Master’s degree in New Jersey! She is an avid traveler and enjoys exploring, trying new foods, and learning about different cultures. Her hobbies include photography, crafting, and gardening.
Ms. Effa Zainnordin, Sabah, Malaysia, has been named Middle School Mathematics teacher beginning August 1, 2017. In her professional career, Ms. Effa has been a Middle and High School teacher in Hanoi, Vietnam and a Pre-University teacher in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. She has been a head of invigilator for the International Primary Leaving School Examination (IPSLE) and a coach for Math Olympics in Hanoi, Vietnam.
Ms. Effa has earned the following degrees and certifications:
- BS degree in Mathematics (Hons.) at University Putra Malaysia.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (International) (PGCEi) from the University of Nottingham, United Kingdom.
- Teaching and Assessing Skills in Mathematics from Cambridge International Examination (CIE).
- Cambridge IGCSE Mathematics certification from Cambridge International Examination (CIE).
Ms. Effa enjoys cooking, photography and traveling.
Mr. Lafe Conger, Kennesaw, Georgia, U.S.A. has been named Preschool teacher beginning August 1, 2017. In his professional career Lafe has taught Nursery, Preschool, Kindergarten & Grade 1 in Shanghai, China. During this time period he moved between Lead Teacher & PYP Coordinator. Mr Conger holds the following degrees.
- Bachelor's of Education from Tennessee Tech University - Cookville, TN
- Associates of Science w/ minor in Education from Pellissippi State - Knoxville, TN
- Arizona State Teacher Certification for ECE & Elementary
Lafe has lived in and around SE Asia for the last 6 years. He enjoys taking care of his body / mind through spending time in nature, practicing muay thai and focusing on personal growth and peace.
Ms. Lisa Walter, Denver, Colorado, USA, has been named Grade 3 teacher in the Elementary School beginning August 1, 2017. In her professional career, Ms. Lisa has taught Kindergarten, Grades 2 and 3 in South Korea and Vietnam. While in Vietnam, she has organized school events such as The Mid-Autumn Festival, Literacy Month, and The Science Fair. Ms. Lisa has also coordinated and led the Drama Club for grades 2-5. She holds the following degrees.
- Florida Educator’s Certificate in Primary Education from TeacherReady, Pensacola, Florida, USA.
- Bachelor of Science in Journalism from Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, Arizona, USA.
- Minor degrees in Sociology and Public relations from Northern Arizona University
- TEFL Certificate
Ms. Lisa has been living and teaching in Asia for more than 6 years. In America, she spent over 6 years coaching and teaching swimming. In her spare time, Ms. Lisa enjoys travelling, snowboarding, swimming, hiking and playing with her dog, Rufus.
Ms. Emily Piersialla has been named the Learning Resource teacher beginning August 1, 2017. In her professional career, Ms. Emily has been a self-contained special education teacher at MacArthur School in South Holland, IL for 5 years. She then taught as the Learning Resource teacher at Majuro Cooperative School in the Marshall Islands for the past 2 years. She has held school positions of teacher, PTA teacher representative, student council teacher advisor, swim club advisor, leadership team member, WASC Self Study committee chair, and WASC visiting committee chair member.
MS. Emily has earned the following degrees and certifications:
- BS degree in Elementary Education at Bradley University, Peoria, IL
- BS degree in Special Education at Bradley University, Peoria, IL
- Endorsed in Early Childhood Education
- Illinois State Teaching Certificate
- Red Cross / First Aid and CPR Certification
Megan Gallagher, Toledo, Ohio, USA, has been named a primary ESL teacher. She has been living in Ho Chi Minh City for three years. Previous to The American School, she has worked at The Japanese School.
Megan played collegiate Division 1 at Loyola Marymount University, as well as coached several youth soccer camps. She enjoys reading, running, and traveling.
Ms. Megan holds the following degree and certifications:
- BA in English Writing from Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles
- Oxfords Teachers' Academy Course:
- Teaching Very Young Learners
- TESOL certification from Language Corps (USA)
Mr Thomas Lupton – Kent, England, has been named TAS High School Science Teacher beginning in 2018. He has been teaching science in Vietnam for four years with experience teaching grades 6 through 12. Primarily, he has specialized in teaching Physics however he has also taught Biology, Chemistry, and Mathematics. Before coming to Vietnam, he completed a master’s degree in Astrophysics including work as a member of the Kepler Asteroseismic Science Consortium who worked with the NASA Kepler mission. Outside of teaching, he is passionate about music, playing the guitar for over 15 years and beginning to learn the drums in early 2018. He also enjoys playing board games and sports with friends.
- MSci (Hons) Physics with Astrophysics, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
- PGCEi, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom (In progress.)
- Teaching English as a Second Language certificate,
- Cambridge Certificates for teaching in Secondary Science, Combined Science, Coordinated Science, IGCSE Physics, A-level Physics.
- 4+ years of teaching science at middle and high school level in Vietnam.
Mr. Nick Compton has been named Middle and High School Mathematics and Health teacher beginning August 1, 2018. In his professional career, Mr. Nick has been a teacher at the American International School of Niamey, Niger; at the Majuro Cooperative School in the Republic of the Marshall Islands; at Chuuk High School in Chuuk of the Federated States of Micronesia; and at the W-Institute English Academy in Namyangju, South Korea. Prior to teaching, he was also a certified Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-Basic) and a nationally certified strength and conditioning instructor through the National Strength and Conditioning Association.
He has been the head coach of both men’s and women’s basketball teams at Chuuk High School and Majuro Cooperative School.
Mr. Nick has earned the following degrees and certifications.
- BS in Exercise Science, Health, and Physical Education with an Area Concentration in Applied Health Science from Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia
- Professional Teaching Certificate from the Republic of the Marshall Islands
He is also currently in progress of earning a second BS in Applied Mathematics from the Indiana University East. In his spare time, Mr. Nick enjoys doing math, reading, exercising, hiking, and traveling.
Ms. Sara Blair - Toronto, Canada, has been named TAS Middle-High School English Teacher beginning August 2017. After receiving her Graduate Diploma in Education from the University of the Sunshine Coast in 2009, Ms. Blair has worked in Thailand, Canada, the Marshall Islands and Niger. In addition to teaching, Ms. Blair has been the advisor for the yearbook and school newspaper, as well as coach of the High School Girl’s basketball team.
Ms. Blair enjoys photography, especially of nature and wildlife, as well as writing and reading. At the moment, she has dreams of being published in National Geographic, and publishing her novel she has been writing.
- BA: Major in Child & Youth Studies, Minor in English, Brock University, Ontario, Canada
- Graduate Diploma in Education, University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
- Ontario Teaching Certification, Canada
- Additional Qualifications in Special Education & Primary Education
- 3+ years of teaching experience in Canada, Thailand, the Marshall Islands, and Niger.
Ms. Evie Cobb has been named Grade 2 teacher in the Elementary School beginning August 1, 2017. She is originally from the USA, but has lived in and traveled throughout several countries around the world. In her professional career, Ms. Evie has taught a variety of grade levels at international schools in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam for the last 5 years.
Ms. Evie Cobb’s goal is to foster and maintain an open, honest, communicative, and supportive classroom, in which each student feels safe, secure, special, and appropriately challenged. She is very excited to join the TAS family and to work closely with the faculty and staff to ensure the best learning outcomes of her students.
Ms. Evie has earned the following degrees and certifications:
- B.A. in Anthropology with an Area Concentration in Primatology from Arizona State University, USA
- Florida Professional Teaching Certificate: K-6, The University of West Florida, USA
- Cambridge International Examinations Certification in English and Science, HCMC, VN
- TESOL Certification, USA
Ms. Christine Cash from London, Ontario, Canada, has been named Grade 2 teacher in the Elementary School beginning August 1, 2017. In her professional career, Ms. Christine has taught Grades 3, 4 and 5 in Canada as well as Vietnam. She was a leader of the Curriculum Planning Committee for both Science and English at her previous school. Ms. Cash holds the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada.
- Bachelor of Education degree from the University of Windsor, Windsor, Canada
- Additional Teaching Qualifications in:
- French as a Second Language
Mr. Aaron Rangoonwala, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA has been named Middle-High School ESL teacher beginning August 2017. Mr. Rangoonwala worked in the Minneapolis Public Schools for a year before moving to South Korea, where he taught ESL for 4 years. He has served as a department head and soccer coach.
Mr. Rangoonwala grew up in East Africa, studied abroad in the Middle East and has been living in Asia the past 5 years. He is excited to start exploring Vietnam. He is an active person who enjoys doing anything outside. His hobbies include rock climbing, biking, trekking, cooking and learning languages. He will quickly admit that he is a social studies nerd and that Planet Earth is one of his favorite shows.
Mr. Rangoonwala holds the following degrees:
- Washington D.C. Teacher Certification
- Teaching English as Foreign Language (TEFL), USA
- BA in Political Science and Anthropology from Bethel University, St. Paul, MN
- 4+ years teaching overseas
Ms. Marianna Daniels, Madison, Wisconsin, USA, has been named Grade 5 teacher in the Elementary School beginning August 1, 2018. In her professional career, Ms. Marianna has taught Kindergarten and Grades 3 and 5 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. She was a coordinator for after-school activities and a faculty facilitator for Student Council.
Ms. Marianna enjoys reading, traveling, playing rugby, scuba diving, and surfing.
Ms. Marianna holds the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts in International Development degree from McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Post-Graduate Teaching Certificate from the University of West Florida.
- Florida State Teacher Certification
Mr. Christopher Goode, Williamsburg, Virginia, has been named TAS Elementary School 4th Grade Teacher beginning September, 2016. Mr. Christopher Goode has been working in education for more than four years, during which time he has taught history, geography, math, science, and English language arts at the primary and secondary levels. His professional accomplishments include serving as head of an English language arts department, directing a photography club, and chairing an action plan committee for student personal and academic support, which led to a successful WASC accreditation.
In his spare time, Mr. Christopher Goode enjoys swimming and playing tennis.
- Florida Professional Teaching Certificate, The University of West Florida, USA (in progress).
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language Certificate.
- B.A. Philosophy, Appalachian State University, N.C., USA.
- 4+ years teaching experience in Cambodia and Vietnam.
Mr. Jakob Medlin, Iowa, USA, has been teaching at TAS since 2016. In his career as an IT professional, he worked all over the world for startups specializing in designing and developing video game software for mobile platforms. Projects he's worked on, including the world famous Angry Birds, have been downloaded by millions of people around the world.
In his free time, he enjoys playing sports and games, reading books, dining with friends, and keeping up with the latest technology news.
- BA of Game Design, University of Advancing Technology, Tempe, Arizona, USA.
- Certified Scrum Master, Management Institute of Finland.
- CELTA Certified, ILA Vietnam.
Mr. Victor Sifontes, Caracas, Venezuela, has been named ESL Coordinator beginning August 1, 2017. In his professional career, Mr. Sifontes began as a foreign language assistant at Highlands School in Enfield, London teaching Spanish to students from year 3 to year 6 in 2007. A year later, after his return to Venezuela, he taught Generative Grammar and Applied Linguistics at the University of Carabobo while he was an ESL teacher at Wall Street Institute in Valencia, Venezuela. In Caracas, he taught ESL in grades 5 and 6 at Institutos Educacionales Asociados (IEA) and more recently he was the ES ESL teacher at Escuela Campo Alegre (ECA) The American International School, also in Caracas, Venezuela.
When Mr. Sifontes is not teaching, he enjoys doing yoga, reading, writing, dancing, jogging, singing, cooking, listening to music, watching films, and practising his French.
- Bachelor of Education in ESL, University of Carabobo, Carabobo, Venezuela
- PD training: NWEA MAP testing, Engagement and Academic Language Development in ELLs.
- 7 years of teaching experience in England and Venezuela.
Ms. Lucia Faccini, Maracaibo, Zulia, Venezuela, has been named Art teacher in the Middle School High School beginning August 1, 2017. In her professional career, Ms. Lucia Faccini has taught drawing and digital art classes to children in summer schools in Maracaibo, Venezuela. And has been a visiting lecturer in Vietnam Design Institute ADS in Ho Chi Minh City. She worked as a Teacher Assistant in her University during her studying years. Ms. Lucia Faccini has also been the main designer for a Japanese Language and Culture Institute in Maracaibo, Venezuela. She enjoys life-drawing, animation, swimming, traveling, and movies.
Ms. Lucia holds the following degrees:
- Bachelor in Graphic Design degree from The University of Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela.
- Bachelor in Sciences from Nuestra Sra. De La Merced School
Ms. Jessica Daniels from Brookfield, Illinois, USA, has been named TAS Middle and High School English teacher starting in August of 2018. She has taught in Berwyn, Illinois, England, South Korea, and Vietnam. Most recently, Ms. Jessica Daniels was a middle school world history teacher at American International School at the Nha Be campus in Ho Chi Minh City. She previously served as social committee chair, led student council, and ran an Ultimate Frisbee club for students.
Ms. Jessica Daniels has fallen in love with the country of Vietnam and has lived in Ho Chi Minh City for four years! In her free time, she loves to play sports, cook, read, hike, travel, and hang out with her friends.
- BS in Education degree from Illinois State University with a specialization in middle school social science, science, and language arts.
- Minor in Psychology
- Illinois State Teacher Certification
- Online ESL tutor
- EARCOS ESL Conference in Seoul, South Korea, 2013
Ms. Kate Soper has been named Middle and High School Drama teacher beginning August 1, 2017. In her professional career, she has been Head of Performing Arts at Central Foundation Girls’ School, London, England and at Hammersmith Academy, London, England. With a specialization in lighting design, Ms. Kate Soper has also worked at the Place Theatre, London and at Lounge on the Farm festival, Kent (both in the UK).
Ms. Kate Soper has directed a number of school musicals as well as a production as part of the National Theatre New Connections scheme and taken a show to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Scotland, UK. She has led choirs at both Hammersmith Academy and Central Foundation Girls’ School.
Ms. Kate Soper has earned the following degrees and certifications:
- Drama with a specialization in technical theatre from the University of Kent, Canterbury, England.
- Post Graduate Certificate of Education, Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, London, England.
Mr. Chad Niemann, Chicago, Illinois
Chad has been teaching English as a Second Language in Vietnam for 3 years as well as supporting international schools such as ISHCMC, SIC and TAS as a substitute teacher. Prior to moving to Vietnam, he had been working as a business manager in Colorado, USA and volunteering at the University of Colorado’s ESL Academy.
He enjoys traveling, hiking, camping, going to see live music, and playing sports, especially baseball and basketball. Over the summer break, he returns to his hometown to spend time with his family and attend baseball games.
- Florida State Professional Teaching Certificate Elementary K-6.
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language Certificate (TEFL)
- B.A. Business Management, Arizona State University.
- 3+ years teaching experience in Vietnam.
Ms. Nicole Tombarelli, Gray, Maine, USA has been named Elementary Art Teacher beginning August 1st, 2017. She recently graduated from The University of Southern Maine, receiving her Bachelor of Fine Arts in Education. She concentrated her studio art work in painting and she was exhibited in the Senior Show in 2015.
Her first year of teaching was in 2016 at Falmouth Elementary in the State of Maine. She worked with K-2 students in Special Education and 3-5 grade students as a teacher assistant. While at Falmouth, Ms. Nicole Tombarelli also lead adaptive art for students with exceptionalities and volunteered at after school art club. She has experience in teaching art, working at The Art Camp of New England as a Ceramics Teacher and Gray Recreation Summer Camp as the Art Coordinator.
Ms. Nicole Tombarelli enjoys serving others and traveling to new places. She has participated in three community service mission trips in Colorado, New York and Guatemala. Some of her hobbies are hiking, swimming, kayaking, paddle boarding, and in the winter months skiing, skating and snowshoeing.
She has a passion for art and excited to be teaching at TAS.
- K-12 Art Certification.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Education.
Mr. Scott Johnson – Chicago, Illinois, USA, has been named the TAS Middle-High School Science Teacher beginning in 2016. He has been teaching science in Vietnam for 7 years with experience teaching grades 6 – 12. Primarily, he specializes in teaching Middle School Sciences, High School Biology, and High School Chemistry. Before coming to Vietnam, he was a lead molecular scientist in a bio-chemical rapid response program for the Department of Homeland Security, operating out of the Department of Health and Human Services in Chicago, Illinois.
Outside of teaching, he enjoys travelling by motorcycle all over Vietnam and visiting as many interesting sites as possible in this beautiful country.
- BS Microbiology & Genetics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
- MSc Biotechnology, University of Maryland, Adelphi, MD, USA
- State of Florida, USA, Teacher Certification Science 6 - 12
- IELTS Teaching Certification
Ms. Trang To has been named the Vietnamese Studies Teacher at TAS Middle-High School since August 2017. In her professional career, she has taught Vietnamese for foreigners at VLS center (Vietnamese Language Studies) and EZ Vietnamese center before she began her tenure at TAS. Ms. Trang graduated BA in Vietnam Studies at Ho Chi Minh City University of Education and have a passion for research on Vietnamese culture and history. She is also a member of the committees organize traditional cultural events such as Moon Festival and Tet Festival.
Ms. Trang likes to spend her free time listening to music, watching movies and taking care of her pets.
- Bachelor of Vietnamese Studies, Ho Chi Minh City University of Education
- Certificate of Education from Ho Chi Minh City University of Education
- Certificate of Education from University of Social Science and Humanities, HCMC
- Over 6 years of experience and teaching at Vietnam
Ms. Elizabeth Stoughton from West Hartford, Connecticut, USA has been named Grade 1 teacher in the Elementary School beginning August 1st, 2017. In her professional career, Ms. Stoughton has taught 1st grade, as well as ESL classes for grades 2-5. She has been teaching in Vietnam for over 2 years. Ms. Stoughton has taught the core elementary subjects of language arts, science, math, and social studies. Ms. Stoughton studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain as well as Brighton, UK and loves learning new languages and new cultures. Ms. Stoughton loves to sing, dance, swim, cook and explore the world around her.
- BA in Spanish Language and English Literature from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
- TEFL teaching certificate from Oxford Seminars
Ms. Suzanne Ede is an ICT teacher and department head of Creative Arts at TAS Middle-High School. She began her tenure at TAS in November 2016.
Ms. Suzanne began her teaching career in West Sussex, England in 2010 after graduating from The University of Brighton with a PGCE in Design Technology. She taught middle/high school there for three years before moving to Vietnam. Ms. Suzanne served as an Elementary head of department in Ho Chi Minh City for three years before starting her tenner at TAS.
Ms. Suzanne enjoys being creative in her free time through painting, photography and website design. This year she is learning to play guitar.
- Masters of Education: Technology, Creativity & Thinking, Exeter University, England
- PGCE Design Technology, Brighton University, England.
- BA Hons Fine Art, Chichester University, England.
- Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL) certificate
- 8+ years teaching experience in England and Vietnam
Ms. Francesca Flores -- Austin, Texas, is joining TAS as a Second Grade Teacher, August 2018. She has been involved with Education and Mentoring for almost a decade, and has worked in South Korea, Vietnam, Italy, Spain and America. She has worked extensively with Kindergarten, 1st Grade, and 5th Grade. She has taught Science, Math, English, Writing, and Theater. In her last school, she founded a dance club and hopes to start a gardening program at TAS. She has also worked in Education Consulting and assisted International Students transition to University in America.
Ms. Flores enjoys reading, writing, dancing, live music, comedy, food, coffee, yoga, traveling and learning Vietnamese.
- BA in Spanish San Marcos, Texas, USA
- BAIS in International Studies San Marcos, Texas, USA
- TESOL Certification
- TEFL-Theater and Play
- 7+ years of teaching experience in South Korea, Vietnam, Italy, Spain and USA
Ms. Greta Behan, Trempealeau, Wisconsin, USA has been named Grade 3 teacher in the Elementary School beginning August 1, 2018. In her professional career, she taught 2nd grade in Pereira, Colombia last year. Ms. Behan graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 2017 where she earned a degree in elementary and special education. Currently she is working towards her Masters Degree in ESL from St. Cloud State University. She has coached gymnastics for many years and enjoys working with kids in a sports setting. Ms. Behan has done service learning projects in Cambodia and Morocco in the past years. Ms. Behan hold the following degrees:
- BA in Elementary and Special Education from University of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin State Teaching License- Elementary Education 1-8
- Wisconsin State Teaching License- Special Education 1-8
Ms. Behan enjoys spending time with her family, friends and traveling. In her spare time she likes trying new foods, hiking, and being outside. Also, she loves to play and watch sports. She excited to be living and teaching in Vietnam this year!
Ms. Jennifer Weeast is from Montana, USA. She is the 6th and 8th grade English Language Arts teacher beginning August 1, 2018. In her professional career, Jennifer has been a middle and high school English teacher in Vietnam and South Korea, and an elementary school teacher in Costa Rica.
Jennifer holds the flowing degrees and certificates:
- Master of Education In Teaching English as a Second Language Specialist Bilingual Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education K-8
- Spanish language teacher certification
- Montana Educator’s License
In addition to Jennifer’s experience teaching abroad, she has volunteered extensively including coaching a Lego Robotics League at the Boys and Girls Club in Washington, USA. Jennifer has also participated in a variety of projects with teachers worldwide. In her spare time, she enjoys traveling, reading, cooking, horseback riding, surfing, and spending time with her husband and friends.
Julianne Athon, San Diego, California, has been named Middle-High School ESL Teacher beginning August 2018. After graduating from the University of California, Berkeley with a BA in English, she began teaching in New Haven Connecticut where she taught 9th grade for three years through a program called Teach For America. In Connecticut she was the teacher advisor to various clubs, including Guitar club and Dance club. She then moved to Spain where she taught ESL for three years in Madrid. While in Madrid, she earned her masters degree in the University of Alcalá in Bilingual and Multicultural Education. She has taught in Vietnam for one year is excited to continue her career at The American School. In her spare time, she enjoys playing the guitar, cooking, reading, and traveling. Julianne holds the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts from University of California, Berkeley
- Connecticut State Teacher Certification
- Masters of Multicultural and Bilingual Education
Mr. Kasey O'Brien -- Spencer, Wisconsin, has been named a TAS Elementary Grade ESL Teacher beginning in August 2018. Since 2007, Mr. Kasey has been working in the TESOL field. He has done everything from teaching, teacher training, and managing English language centres. For the past 10 years, he has worked for a large English language school in Ho Chi Minh City, ILA Vietnam. Before teaching in Vietnam, he worked as a TESOL teacher in Prague, Czech Republic. He has taught a variety of ages, from elementary school to high school.
Mr. Kasey enjoys spending time with his family, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, reading about health and fitness, cooking, traveling, and drinking coffee.
- BA in Psychology from University of Wisconsin--Eau Claire
- Trinity Cert TESOL Certification
- Young Learner Extension to the CELTA (YLE CELTA)
- Diploma of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (DELTA) - all three modules.
- 6+ years of teaching experience in Vietnam and Czech Republic
Mr. Kenny Maderis- Elko, Nevada, USA has been named history teacher for 6th and 7th grade for the academic year 2018-2019. Kenny has been teaching in Vietnam for more than six years. In his professional career he has taught young learners of all ages as well as learners with special needs. In addition to regular teaching duties, Kenny did volunteer work tutoring disadvantaged young learners at a school in his hometown.
In his free time, Kenny enjoys reading books, traveling, watching sports and spending time with family and friends.
- Post Baccalaureate in Secondary Education, Great Basin College, Elko, Nevada, USA
- BS in Marketing, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA), Cambridge University
- Nevada State educator’s license (Secondary Education- Social Studies)
Ms. Mei Chung is the new TAS Elementary Grade 5 Teacher. She grew up in Austin, Texas and earned her Bachelor’s degree in Education from the University of Texas at Austin and became a certified teacher in 2004. She has over 8 years of teaching experience. She taught ESL, 1st, 2nd, and 4th grade. She has worked at schools in America, China, Taiwan, and Germany. She loves learning about new cultures and languages. She speaks German and Mandarin. In her free time, she enjoys reading, yoga, running, movies, cooking, trying new food, and spending time with her 2 year old daughter.
- BS in Applied Learning and Development, Minor in Educational Psychology
- Teaching certification in Elementary Education & ESL certification from Austin, Texas USA
- TEFL Certification
- IB PYP Certification (Category 1)
- 8 years teaching experience
Mr. Marc Turcotte is born in the small Canadian town of Falher, Alberta. He will be joining our team August 1st as a performing arts teacher in the middle school. After obtaining his bachelor's degree in Music and Second language acquisition at the Universtiy of Alberta, he quickly took of to gain experience as an international teacher. Marc has worked as a second language teacher (French and English), Music and Drama teacher in the countries of Taiwan, Japan, Canada, Switzerland, and now Vietnam.
Marc has also played in many concert bands, rock groups, and choirs. Also passionate by drama, he is a big fan of improvisation and has participated in numerous amateur theater productions. His biggest passion is definitely teaching which was ignited by teaching swimming lessons as a lifeguard in his hometown. Other passions include traveling, snowboarding, tennis and photography. He is looking forward to joining our team at TAS and inspiring future artists in Music and Drama.
Mr. Martin “Marty” Charters of Virginia Beach, Virginia has been assigned to work in the STEM department as their middle school science teacher beginning August 1, 2018. In his professional career, Marty has taught elementary school, English, math, social studies, science, and health education as well as 6th, 7th, and 8th grade science and math in Virginia Beach City Public Schools in Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA. Marty also has taught computer technology to primary students in the United Arab Emirates, 7th grade math, 8th grade science, and 9th grade computer technology in Turkey, and middle school science in China. Marty also teaches private English
After school Marty has coached girls and boys sports – volleyball, basketball, and softball.
Marty holds the following degrees:
- Masters of Science of Education degree from Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia, USA
- Bachelor of Science degree in Geography from Oregon State University in Corvallis, Oregon, USA
- Postgraduate Professional Teaching License from the Commonwealth of Virginia, endorsed in computer science, earth and space science, geography, middle education grades 4-8
- CELTA certificate, Level 5, in English Language Teaching to Adults from ILA and Cambridge English in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Associate of Applied Sciences degree in Computer and Information Science from ECPI College of Technology in Norfolk, Virginia, USA
- Associate in Applied Sciences degree from the State University of New York at Delhi in Delhi, New York, USA
- TESOL certificate of ESL for the Secondary Science Teacher from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire in Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- Certificate from the Summer Institute on Academic Diversity at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
- Commission in the United States Navy granted from Oregon State University in Corvallis, Oregon, USA
Outside of school, Marty has submerged himself in the local community by teaching English, teaching dance, and playing tennis with Vietnamese people in his local home community. He has also lead local school trips as well and EF Tours international trips with students from the schools he has taught at in the past.
Marty has a 29-year-old daughter who is a registered nurse at the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville, Virginia in the USA.
Philosophy: “Give a student an answer, he knows it for a day; teach a student how to find an answer, he knows it for a life time.”
Mr. Michael Princer has been named a TAS Spanish Teacher beginning in August 2018. Mr. Michael Princer has been teaching Spanish in schools and colleges for the last 20 years. He has worked in Illinois, Wisconsin, South Korea and now, Vietnam. He holds a teaching license from the State of Illinois and has completed extensive graduate coursework in linguistics and second language acquisition theory. He fell in love with living and studying abroad as a Rotary Youth Exchange student in Mexico and has been traveling ever since. He completed his coursework for his master's degree in Santiago de Compostela, Spain but has recently been exploring South America. Mr. Princer spent last year attending culinary school in Buenos Aires, Argentina and looks forward to getting back to the classroom. In his free time, he enjoys cooking, reading and learning new languages.
Mr. Princer holds the following degrees and licenses:
- University of Northern Iowa, M.A. in Spanish
- Lawrence University, B.A. in Spanish
- Illinois State Teaching License
Ms. Nidhi Singh has been named as a Science Teacher in the STEM department at TAS Middle-High School, reporting to the principal beginning August 1, 2018. She is an inspiring, self -motivated and dynamic middle and high school teacher. Nidhi has been teaching Science in Vietnam for seven years with experience in teaching grades 6 to 12.
She is also passionate about YOGA and has been practicing yoga for more than 20 years. She also enjoys travelling and gardening.
Nidhi holds the following degrees and certificates
- M. Sc. Zoology, Purvanchal University India.
- B.Sc. Life Sciences and Chemistry, India
- Teaching English as a second language certificate.
- Cambridge certificates for teaching in secondary science.
- Certificate course in Yoga.
- 7+ years of teaching experience.
Ms. Renée Faubert, Toronto, Ontario, Canada has been named a Middle School Visual Arts and ICT Teacher beginning in August 2018. Professionally, in the past, Renée has taught middle school Design and Visual Arts in an independent and boarding school in Toronto, Ontario. She also taught Design at a Bilingual School in Quito, Ecuador. Renée also has four years experience in teaching in the International Baccalaureate Program at the Middle School Level.
Renée holds the following degrees and qualifications:
- Ontario Certified Teacher Intermediate/Senior Visual Arts and History
- Bachelor of Education from Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- Intermediate/Senior Divisions Visual Art and History
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art History and Studio Art from Concordia University, Montréal, Québec, Canada
In the past Renée has also worked as a boarding advisor at her former school in Toronto and was active in the student life program. In her spare time she also enjoys drawing and painting, cooking, practicing yoga, hiking and dance and is an Associate Member of the British Association of Teachers of Dancing in Ballet.
Ms. Shannon Grace is from Springfield, Virginia. She will be one of TAS’ grade 2 teachers starting in August 2018. She has taught grades 3 and 4 in Vietnam.
Ms. Shannon graduated from Radford University with a bachelors degree in Elementary Education in 2014. She then began to travel the world where she resided in Australia before settling in Vietnam.
She loves cooking and baking, but she loves eating more!
- Bachelor’s in Elementary Education
- Certified Teaching License in the state of Virginia. (Pre-kindergarten- 6th grade)
- 3 years of teaching experience
Ms. Tatum Kashap has been named TAS Middle-High school ESL Teacher beginning in August 2018. She is originally from the UK, but grew up as an expat in the Middle East, and also lived in Australia after graduating from university in England.
She moved to Vietnam 5 years ago and began her teaching career in Da Nang, teaching English as a second language. Since moving to Ho Chi Minh City two years ago, She has continued to teach English to children and adults of all ages, privately, at the British Council and also at TAS as a substitute teacher.
In addition to teaching English, She’s also a qualified yoga instructor. In her free time, she enjoys making sustainable crafts, and promoting environmental awareness here in Vietnam. Her hobbies include swimming, cooking and reading, as well as traveling to explore Vietnam and its neighboring countries as much as possible.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology, 1st class honors, University of Gloucestershire
- CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults), University of Cambridge
- TYLEC (Teaching Young Learners Extension Certificate), Trinity College London
- 5 years teaching experience in Vietnam
- RYT200 (Registered Yoga Teacher 200 Hours), Yoga Alliance
Ms. Valeryia Kalantayeva, Vitebsk, Belarus has been named iESL Teacher in the Middle-High School, beginning August 1, 2018. In her professional career, Ms Valeryia has taught English as a Second Language to elementary and middle school students in Belarus and China for over 5 years. Along with teaching, Ms Valeryia has also worked as a freelance travel writer and a translator.
Ms. Valeryia holds the following degrees and certifications:
- BA in Chinese and English Language Studies, Linguistics and Pedagogy, Minsk, Belarus
- Teaching English as a Second Language Certification (TESOL), Arizona, USA
- Chinese Language Intensive Studies Certification, Beijing Language and Culture University, China
- 5+ years ESL teaching experience overseas
Ms. Han Tran – Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, has been named TAS Middle-High School Vietnamese Teacher since August 2017. Ms. Han is an enthusiastic and careful teacher. She always wrestles with a problem that almost students disregard their speeches and culture. Therefore, she focusses on education about moral awareness, national origin and precious tradition that our ancestors built in the history throughout the subject. Besides, she also cultivates experience and practical lessons for students.
Her hobbies are travelling, cooking, writing and reading.
- Bachelor of Teaching Literature – Can Tho University, Can Tho City, Vietnam
- A top excellent student of Literature Department – Course: 2007 - 2011
- 3 years: teaching, reviewing for national exams in various Middle Schools, High Schools and Learning Centers at HCMC.
- 2 years: teaching at American International School – HCMC.
A "bi-coastal" American, after growing up in Sanford, Maine, Mr. Dustin finished his Bachelor's Degree in Southern California at UC, Santa Barbara and lived for many years in Los Angeles. After trying his hand in several fields outside of academics, he finally landed in Vietnam in 2013 and started focusing on teaching. Since then, he's been gradually working his way up the teaching ladder while also becoming adept at coaching sports.
Recently, Mr. Dustin has completed a Mindfulness in Education teacher training at the Esalen Institute in gorgeous Big Sur, California. So, he intends on helping his students stay connected with their thoughts and expressions as they traverse the digital age.
- BA in Film Studies from UC, Santa Barbara with a focus on writing
- State of Florida teacher's certification
- TeacherReady alumnus (University of West Florida online program)
- TEFL certified with seven years of ESL teaching experience
- Oxford University certified with an emphasis on teaching young learners
- Certified to instruct IELTS by the British Council
- Mindfulness in Education practione
Ms. Ly was born in Vietnam and lived in the US for 20 years. She recently moved back to reconnect with family and to contribute to the education system in Vietnam. Her keen interest in Psychology and Education has inspired her to study School Counseling and Marriage Family Therapy after graduating from UC Santa Cruz. With valuable training and supervision, she became a counselor at various schools to provide individual and group counseling for students who struggled socially, emotionally, and academically for about three years. In addition to that, she worked as paraprofessional to support students with special needs to ensure that they reach their fullest potential.
Currently she is also committed to helping Hope Unending, an international NGO that aims to eliminate human trafficking and other social issues in Vietnam. During her spare time, she enjoys exploring more of Vietnam, journaling, and connecting with friends.
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
Masters of Science in School Counseling